Cascade Locks statues will honor Corps of Discovery stop
“When Lewis and Clark passed through the Gorge on their return trip to Missouri, in April of 1806, the travelers found an area rich in wildlife, natural beauty and Native American trading partners.
In the area of present-day Cascade Locks, the expedition faced one of its bigger challenges: navigating the Cascade Rapids. Rushing water, high winds and driving rain made the task difficult.
So difficult, in fact, that the expedition was briefly separated on the night of April 9-10, 1806, as they tried to cross from the Washington side of the Columbia to the Oregon side. Three men and a canoe were left on the Washington side due to the high waves.
The remainder of the expedition spent the evening near Tanner Creek near Cascade Locks.
“In this channel we found a good harbor and encamped on the lower Side. We Saw Some deer Sign and Collins to hunt in the morning until the Canoes were toed above the rapids. Made 16 Miles to day. evening wet & disagreeable,” wrote Captain William Clark in his journal.
In the ensuing days the group would cross back and forth from the Oregon and Washington sides, including visits to several Native American villages in the vicinity of Cascade Locks…..